Monday, March 24, 2008

Screw the Knee! Much Needed Ride Worth the Pain.




Despite significant pain in the knee while on the flats, I managed to put a few miles in the saddle this weekend. The wind was howling, and a few times almost pushed me off the shoulder or into traffic. It rained most of the time, and my knee which started off just fine, ended up killing me at the point in the ride when it was too late to turn around. The funny thing is, that it only hurt on the flats. Climbing any hill was the only thing that managed to make it feel better. Weird. Anyway, it has been feeling better, and I actually took the opportunity to ride in such foul weather on purpose. I loaded everything that I plan on packing during the coast tour this summer, and ventured out to test how everything would stand up during the worst case scenario. I'm glad I did it, because it gave me the chance to see where the chinks were in my armor. Thankfully, there weren't many. Mostly, I found that there are a few items I need to pack differently, and discovered that the bike handles quite well when fully loaded with at least 50 pounds of stuff. Let me tell you, I absolutely flew down the hills with all that extra weight, hitting 45 m.p.h. and almost passing a car on Holly Lane! Having said that...going up hill is a KILLER! Upon arrival back at the house, I set up the tent, and prepared to camp as if on the road. It rained all night, and was colder than a well digger's brass monkey, but me and all my stuff stayed as dry as a bone! Now, if the knee would hurry up and heal, I will be ready to hit the road and travel in any kind of weather fair or foul.

No comments: